Copyright © 2009 Legend Design
BUILDING SINCE 1860
LATEST NEWS STORIES
Pollard Press Release Archive ... read more
Next Phase of Mount Wise in Plymouth Breaks Ground ... read more
Blake Joinery celabrates 30th anniversary ... read more
EXCAVATION WORKS UNVEIL MEDIEVAL BUILDING AT NEWTON’S PLACE
A significant historical discovery has been made by Pollard’s construction team during works taking place as part of the redevelopment of the Grade 2 listed former St Leonard’s Church in Newton Abbot.
Excavation works were being undertaken within the building to create a lift shaft which exposed the remains of a previously unknown medieval building. Further careful excavation revealed more remains including a cobbled surface which it is believed would have been a passageway or courtyard and within the walls a bay window or door threshold.
Archaeologists Stuart Randall and Silvia Criado, observing the excavation works felt the substantial thickness of the wall, which in places is up to 70cm, suggests the building would have been a public place rather than a private residence.
“It would have been quite common to have walls this thick if this was a public building like a church or something similar, it’s certainly a substantial building of some kind, it’s certainly of significance”
The site’s location at the heart of medieval Newton Abbot means the latest discoveries will help develop a better understanding of the town’s development since the granting of a Royal Charter in 1269.
Once complete, the project will see the former church developed in to an accessible community building, housing a purpose built museum to celebrate the heritage of the town and its people, a community space and offices.
Pictured is Silvio Criado examining the excavation.